Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Dr. Corcoran, where are you?

I once gave James Patrick Corcoran, the great "Statewide Forensic Medical Director" for the Illinois Department of Human Services (basically IDHS' King of Psychiatry), some private advice. He almost bit my head off! I wrote a disrespectful article about him, or maybe two or three, or many, now that I think about it....

I hesitate to cause trouble again, and I kind of suspect that Corcoran has so little respect for me that he could never accept my advice, no matter what honest spirit I might offer it in. But he might be on the side of my guy Gus. It's kind of hard to tell.

At a staffing a couple months ago, the great "Statewide Forensic Medical Director" (King of the plantation), made a big deal about getting Gus out of EMHC. He said Gus clearly doesn't belong on the plantation any more, there's nothing wrong with him. He hasn't shown any signs of serious mental illness in a long time, even though he has taken no psychiatric medications for over a decade. In that staffing, Corcoran repeatedly said, "Let's figure out how to get you out of here." He even organized a meeting with Gus' treatment team for that purpose, and I'm pretty sure he met individually with Gus himself.

Then Gus got transferred to a different clinical unit, and no one has seen Dr. Corcoran anywhere near the issue of getting Gus out ever since.

I went to a staffing for Gus today. We both asked if anyone knew whether Corcoran was still working on getting Gus out, like he had repeatedly indicated he would. That question got nothing but blank stares from the team. I asked whether Corcoran had been notified of Gus' staffing, and was told yes, he gets an email about it every month. Maybe he's deliberating carefully, as of course any wise king must.

One thing was sure clear: nobody was going to show such temerity as to volunteer any information about the great Statewide Forensic Medical Director. Syed Hussain, one of my favorite psychiatrists, was very quiet; the individual who admitted to me that Corcoran gets an email every month about Gus' staffing will probably live to regret her carelessness.

Corcoran gets whatever he wants in IDHS. But maybe he lies about what he wants, and maybe he doesn't even know when he's lying. The people on Gus' new treatment team sure aren't taking any chances, and they are wondering about Corcoran, who may not want to be wondered about by staff (I sure wouldn't, if I were in Corcoran's position!).

My advice is, get Gus out; and get Paul Olsson out, and get Shanovia Fawlkes the hell out! Manumit some slaves Doc, it'll make you look good and demonstrate your superior authority. Maybe the little people will think you know what you're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment