Friday, October 14, 2022

Delirium Tremens

I just got out of a staffing for a psych slave at EMHC, which is of course Illinois' premiere and most esteemed state nuthouse, housing almost entirely forensic "patients". Forensic patients are the people who have sufficiently offended the community that they are held against their will and forcibly "treated" (drugged, shocked, dehumanized, brainwashed, disabled) whether they like it or not, even though no one wants to hold them criminally responsible for anything they did (e.g., murder, battery, fighting with police, or wand waving).

The particular slave for whom today's staffing was held is a guy I don't know very well, and whom I don't represent formally as legal counsel in any current court proceeding. I'll just call him DT. I like his sense of humor and his personality, featuring unusual insouciance in the circumstances.

Today DT took the opportunity of his monthly staffing to explain to his treatment team that he would like to be transferred out of EMHC and back to Cook County Jail. I tried to get an explanation of why he wanted that, and whether he understood that it won't happen unless he's first released from the nuthouse as "cured" and then commits some new offense for which he is arrested. (At least that's my understanding as an Illinois attorney; but I don't know everything, and I have learned that sometimes jailhouse lawyers know certain practical tactics that are not detailed or hinted at in the statutes.)

DT said all his friends, his own people, are in County. He'd like to go back there to find them, and perhaps learn how all the nonsense he's been experiencing since he was remanded to the goofy forensic mental health authorities (psych slave masters/overseers) has come to pass. I think that's his motive anyway, it's pretty much what he said. But he also said he favors reverse psychology as a strategy for dealing with such as Dr. Malis (psychiatrist) and Dr. Welsh (EMHC administrator), who were both in attendance at the staffing. Maybe he's a genius whom I have not yet learned to appreciate.

Of course, Malis-with-Malice spent the whole staffing trying to collect evidence of how DT is delusional and should therefore be more severely drugged, even though there's really no medication to "cure" delusions. DT seemed to play right into his hands on this, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he knew exactly what he was doing. Maybe he was playing Malis somehow. Psychiatric slaves are often just way smarter than their masters ever think.

Meanwhile,  my old friend Marci has been calling me once again. (We periodically offend each other severely and stop talking for a month or two, but we always seem to get back in good graces anyway. I have no idea why, other than from my side I admire her toughness and intelligence.) She seems to always ask me about Malis-with-malice... what do I know, what do I think her chances are, to put him in jail? 

But for all I know, she talks to him with the same questions about me! Geez, I know some crazy people. (By the way, that doesn't include Marci, or in her case I mean it as a compliment. She's a lot less crazy than people think!)

No comments:

Post a Comment