Wednesday, July 5, 2023

More Bobby "Boris Johnson" Sharpe

I just confirmed with Rachel Nelson, Gus' social worker, that I will certainly attend another in-person staffing for Gus, on July 25th at 2:00 PM. It's on my calendar, and I'm counting the days and the hours until I'm there, in the same room once again with Bobby Sharpe!

Most of all, I'll want to see if he got a haircut.

But aside from that, I'd actually like to have a successful, productive staffing for Gus. I can restrain myself very well, from arguing or insulting people. I just haven't seen any indication that Bobby can restrain himself from taking total control over all conversation, shutting up everyone who doesn't bow and scrape in slavish agreement with his own Glorious Psychiatric Authority, and wasting every opportunity for people to learn from each other or collaborate. 

I think that's because he doesn't believe there's anything he can possibly learn from me. And he certainly doesn't want any of his peers to learn anything from me. He also doesn't believe that he should have to collaborate or work with Gus, but only on Gus (and this last is actually contrary to the law).

Another item I'd like to bring up is the question of whether, and why, Stoyka Meyer, Ph.D., would counsel other patients on the unit to not talk to Gus because talking to Gus will get them in trouble. Maybe she never said anything like that, right? But it was reported, and not by Gus. I'll see if she denies it. (Though I'll bet Bobby won't let her: he'll jump right in and insist, "This isn't an appropriate topic for discussion," and he'll talk over Gus and me, and then he'll walk out.)

I recently suggested a whole framework for Gus' staffings, based on empirical results in situations where meetings would have been expected to become a little hostile, but turned out productive. I reiterate that suggestion now, because I really think it would help. But I would never voice any such idea in person, because Bobby would surely take it as an attempt to usurp his precious authority. 

There have been various MD psychiatrists, Ph.D. psychologists, social workers, clinical and security staff, and administrators at EMHC, with whom I have gotten along quite well in the past. Now that I think of it though, they were probably all regular union EMHC employees. It's not right that I shouldn't be able to help and work well with Gus' current treatment team. It's probably my fault.

Or maybe it's just those non-union people who cause all the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment