Thursday, April 18, 2024

Hey, hey, APA! How many kids did you..?

If anyone reading this plans to attend the Annual Meeting of the American Psychiatric Association in New York City, May 4-8, let me know or look me up there, maybe I'll buy you a beer!

I've previously written about several APA annual meetings that I have attended. (See in 2019, one of my favorites: here, here, here; in 2017: here, here; in 2015: here; in 2014, featuring my very best moment with none other than Jeffrey "freak-of-nature" Lieberman: here; and in 2010: here, here, here.) There's always a lot to learn and think about.

People, including my friends at CCHR, imagine that I am sort of a spy when I go to APA meetings. But I go because I am interested in what these people are saying to each other, and what they are thinking about the world of mental health. The main point that becomes obvious is that all but a tiny fraction are fairly well-intentioned; although it's often a difficult question whether someone is a really clever liar or just stupid enough to actually believe what they are saying. But that's true of many people in many times and places--not just in psychiatry.

The key policy is to communicate. And especially to communicate with someone other than yourself, a different viewpoint. If I am in a conflict of any sort (e.g., ideological, cultural, commercial or something that appears merely mechanical like football or modern military), I will avoid defeat or achieve whatever victory, only to the degree that I am willing to know, admire, and be the opponent. This is a Sun Tzu thing

I should say this, that I could hardly do any bigger favor for anyone than convince them to carefully study Colin Thorne's translation of Sun Tzu! Just consider one teaser, quoted from pages 7-8:

Advance knowledge and prediction of the nature, intentions, plans, circumstances and conditions of the enemy cannot be obtained from supernatural entities, similarity of data or by logical reasoning from degrees, standards or rules. Advance knowledge or prediction must be gathered from people. 
 
I find it thrilling to communicate across and behind battle lines, or in the "enemy camp" (so to speak). I have been accused of sympathizing with the other side. The people to whom I am actually most loyal in my life have often suspected me. If that did not occur, I wouldn't be working hard enough, and I wouldn't feel very alive.

So if you are in NYC for the APA Annual Meeting 2024, call me! There's nothing I would enjoy more, this is your official invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment