Tuesday, January 30, 2024

OK Gus!!

Other than Baker, the EMHC "patient" about whom I have most frequently written in recent years might be Gustavo Rodriguez. Gus' current slave cabin is on the section of the plantation known as N Unit (at least I think so--they move him around so much, I can hardly even keep track!).

Gus complains a lot, but probably quite appropriately. The thing about complaints by "patients" is, they are almost never believed, and they are very likely to draw retribution, from staff and other "patients" who act at the behest of staff or with apparent permission from staff.

Gus has been incessantly bullied lately, by a couple patients named David on N Unit. They repeatedly put post-it notes on the door to his bedroom with hearts, saying "I love you," implying Gus is gay. They disrespectfully mocked his Christianity, from which comes his morality to motivate his sincere complaints about the unjust way things are run. This week Gus admitted that he responded to the Daves in kind, for which he was very apologetic to me. I don't know exactly what he did, but it was probably not as bad as what I would have done. 

I'd love to be targeted myself for "bullying" by guys like those two Daves! I'm pretty wedded to the old saw about "sticks and stones can break my bones" and it's very hard to hurt me. But I probably know more about power in human relations than anybody who will ever try to bully me, and high school football taught me to relish physical force, outgoing or incoming. I loved playing defensive line and a solid ground offense. A passing game is pretty, but the point should be hitting. Bullies are cowards and they ostentatiously identify themselves by never using sticks and stones, only pathetic words. They just throw the ball.

The popular concern over emotional damage from bullying is a waste of attention. Bullies can be ignored, or laughed at, or beaten to a pulp when a discrete opportunity presents itself. My youngest child was bullied for awhile in grade school. I explained to him how to confront the bully directly and aggressively. We drilled a routine together, and when my son applied it, the bully went away and never came back.

Anyway, here's the reason it's worth my time writing about this on my blog.... The recent "bullying" by the two Daves on N Unit was knowingly allowed and assisted by staff. As Gus walked through the day room, he was hit with derision and catcalls from patients who were sitting together at a table with STA Kristine Iglesias and STA Erica (last name under investigation). Patients at EMHC are supposed to be helped, to improve their mental, emotional and behavioral health. They are not supposed to be ganged up on, insulted, etc., by the whole combined environment. It would have been extremely easy for Kristine and Erica, sitting right there when this occurred, to say, "Hey guys, that's inappropriate and unnecessary, so just knock it off."

In fact, it was Kristine's and Erica's job to tell the Daves to knock it off. They didn't do their job on this occasion even as they fail to do their job most of the time. They have no clue how to do their job, they have no pride in their work, they are corrupt, hopeless and degraded. Long ago, my friend Rodney Yoder tried to explain to me that these people are scum. The professional title, "Security Therapy Aide," is a joke. STA's smoke weed in hotel parking lots with patients on conditional release, and go upstairs for promiscuous nights, never thinking about anyone they are betraying, including themselves. (Right, Kristine?)

Anyway, I sure am on Gus' side! And any of you idiots who might like to come after me for that.... Mmmmm! 

Now this is going to seem nonsequitur, but maybe I can tie it in.

As I was writing, the Fox News show "Outnumbered" was featuring a discussion about implantable brain chips that could connect people to AI and digital devices for "enhancement" of various human abilities. One comment from the panel was about the potential benefits and the dangers of such technology being comparable to those which also come with psychedelic drugs. The point was essentially, "OMG, we just have to be sure these things are ethically controlled." Everybody agreed, "Oh yeah, excellent comparison!"

No, it's not an excellent comparison, because psychedelic drugs will certainly resist all attempts toward "ethical control." Those substances are the absolute personification of "NO CONTROL... NO ETHICS!" Like Jesus (from Matthew 10:34-36) they do not bring peace, but a sword. And in high irony, also like Nietzche's last men they say they have invented happiness, and they blink.

Will STA Kristine Iglesias ethically control psychedelic drugs? 

Happy Super Bowl to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment